Open and Distance Learning (ODL) system is critical for including the hard2reach girls and women into education. As our work is highly dependent on print based resources, inclusiveness cannot be ensured by the existing model of ODL. If we can share and implement the recent innovations in ODL, our work will be more meaningful and learner inclusiveness and satisfaction will increase. Of course, the revolutionary progress in ICTs made ODL more learner friendly and flexible.
Depending on the readiness of the learners, we can integrate new technologies into our education and training activities in ODL mode. Some of the recent innovations in ODL that we can try for adding value to our works are:
- Resource sharing: We can use the shared folder, email, Facebook or a learning management system (LMS) to share the educational resources electronically.
- Open Educational Resources (OER): We can adopt/adapt OER to improve the quality of our contents.
- Learner engagement: We can use discussion forums, Facebook chats, WhatsApp, skype, etc. for better engagement of the learners.
- Monitoring: We can use a customized software for monitoring or we can use learning analytics to track the learner’s progress.
- Evaluation: We can use Google form, SurveyMonkey, etc for continuous assessments.
- Learning Management System (LMS): LMS is an integrated system/software to monitor and manage the whole learning process from admission up to certifications.
There are a number of free software or digital tools available that can be used comfortably to make our programs/courses in ODL mode more efficient and effective.
Could you share one new idea/technology that added or may add huge value to your current or upcoming initiative with GIRLS Inspire?
I am looking forward to your contribution in this regard.